The Yahoo Mail app is all about providing users with more organization, less clutter and access to helping manage email inboxes as efficiently as possible. In addition to offering multi-account support (meaning no Yahoo email address required to still use the service), the app is tailored for the best performance on each respective iOS and Android platform. For example, the app offers four different Android home screen widgets and users can search recently viewed emails directly from their home screen on an iOS device.
Here’s a look at a few more 2018 milestones:
- Yahoo Mail for iOS and for Android is consistently highly-rated, achieving 4.6 stars in the App Store and 4.3 stars on Google Play. Plus, the Android app has maintained a 4.5-star rating average for over a year (Source: Yahoo internal data Jun’18).
- Yahoo Mail app is available worldwide, with ~200M monthly active Yahoo Mail users (Source: comScore Multi-Platform Worldwide Audience Custom Report, Feb’18). Yahoo Mail is also available in 46 languages and 72 markets (Source: Yahoo internal data; Jun’18).
- Yahoo Mail blocks 600 billion spam messages a month by leveraging the cloud computing power of Hadoop. In fact, for every valid email Yahoo delivers, at least four spam messages are blocked (Source: Yahoo internal data; Jun’18).
- And even though Yahoo Mail has been around for quite some time, the app continues to innovate, delivering the latest features to provide an optimal user experience. Throughout the year, the app provided the following updates:
- Just in time for the holiday season, users can send emails on festive stationery, and also manage coupons and get reminders for expiring deals, to snag the best offers on gifts for family and friends.
- In Nov. 2018, the app announced reminders and unsubscribe features. Reminders suggests which emails should have reminders and recommends timing, all based on email content; Unsubscribe enables users to easily stop receiving emails, without ever having to leave their Yahoo Mail inboxes.
- In Sept. 2018, Yahoo debuted Yahoo Mail for iOS 12, reducing app launch speed by 15 percent and adding Siri shortcuts so that users can quickly access important information.
- Yahoo Mail also optimized its app for Android Go phones in June 2018. The Yahoo Mail Go app delivers the same stunning features enjoyed by the current Android app users, all while keeping the RAM usage on devices below 50MB and the install size below 10MB.
- For Summer 2018, the app offered a World Cup content module within the Android app in 47 countries, along with soccer-themed stationery and animated GIFs on iOS/desktop. Interesting fact: 44 percent of Android Mail users with the module interacted with it daily during the World Cup.
- Also continuing with summer vibes, users could build a virtual AR sandcastle within the Yahoo Mail app, complete with the calming sounds of oceans and birds. Subtle tap interactions revealed towers, shells, and even a little crab that could be added. Users could continue tapping to summon the crab, which would eventually escape into the castle.
- In March 2018, Yahoo Mail introduced several innovative ways for users to stay on top of their shopping game, including the Deals View, and partnerships with ShopRunner (for free two-day shipping, free returns, & seamless checkout) and with Earny (for price protection on purchases).