Fujifilm India Private Limited, a pioneer in imaging technologies, announced the launch of latest innovation breakthrough in India, the FUJIFILM GFX100 mirrorless digital camera (“GFX100”) incorporating an image sensor with the world’s highest 102 million pixels resolution and unique color reproduction technology to achieve the world-leading image quality. The event saw the presence of Mr. Haruto Iwata, Managing Director, Fujifilm India Pvt Ltd., Mr. Dabboo Ratnani, Celebrity and Fashion Photographer and International Editorial, Commercial and Corporate Photographer Mr. Zack Arias.
The GFX100 is a flagship model of the GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras, which have won strong praise from professional photographers and photo enthusiasts alike for the use of a large image sensor, boasting approximately 1.7 times the size of the 35mm full-frame sensor. Among digital cameras equipped with a sensor larger than the 35mm full-frame format, this is the world’s first model that offers (1) a back-illuminated sensor with phase detection pixels, (2) in-body image stabilization (IBIS) mechanism and (3) 4K/30P video recording capability. The innovative mirrorless digital camera fulfills photography’s intrinsic mission of “capturing and recording precious moments that are never to be repeated again.” Launched in India today, the camera will be available at a price of INR 7,86,999/-.
|Commenting on the occasion, Mr. Haruto Iwata, Managing Director, Fujifilm India Pvt Ltd. said, “This is indeed a gratifying moment for us and we are excited to announce the launch of the world’s highest 102 million pixels mirrorless camera – GFX100 in India. At Fujifilm India, our endeavour has always been to bind innovation together with service that enhances customer delight. With the launch of GFX100, we have achieved a great milestone in our digital camera business. I am optimistic that the launch will further enhance our presence in India and we will continue introducing cameras that deliver an unparalleled standard of optical brilliance that is sure to delight a photographer’s fantasy.”|
Present at the event and Brand Ambassador for Fujifilm GFX range, Mr. Dabboo Ratnani said, “It is a matter of great pride for me to be associated with a cult brand like Fujifilm. The new GFX100 camera embodies a new standard of optical excellence with technological brilliance in new mount and optics; retaining Fujifilm’s renowned legacy. Packed with powerful features, the camera displays Fujifilm’s legendary artistry that will empower users to expand the realm of photographic capabilities. With this association, we look forward to an advanced mirrorless camera experience and witness a shift in the existing imaging industry to newer heights.”
On this occasion, the Optical Devices Division of FUJIFILM also unveiled the new “Premista” series of cinema zoom lenses. These lenses support large-format sensors and deliver outstanding high resolution, beautiful bokeh and rich gradation with HDR (high dynamic range). The Premista Series brings out the maximum capability of large format sensors, which is increasingly being adopted into cinema camera, to provide robust support for high-quality video production. The Premista 28-100mm T2.9 will be available in August 2019 at a price of USD 38,800 and the Premista 80-250mm T2.9-3.5 will be available later this year at a price of USD 39,800.
Commenting in the launch of the ‘Premista’ series, Cinematographer Mr. Palash Das said, “I was recently honoured to shoot on the Premista 28-100mm large format zoom lens. The lens is indeed a breakthrough with crisper images and proper focal length coverage throughout the zoom range. It has a beautiful flare to it and the bokeh effect is also quite wonderful. My overall experience with the lens is nothing but fantastic and I will encourage more DOPs to use this zoom lens in Bollywood and across the world.”
Fujifilm has led the cinema industry since its foundation in 1934 to achieve domestic production of photographic and motion picture films. Since 2000, the company has worked on developing lenses for cinema cameras. Its products have received high acclaim at the frontline of movie, TV commercial and TV drama production around the world for their outstanding image quality. The development of high-performance zoom cinema lenses and their contribution to enhancing video image quality have been recognized in 2017 when Fujifilm was given the Emmy Award by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. The new Premista Series will complement the existing “HK / ZK / XK / MK Series” of lenses to address diverse needs in video production.
Innovative features of the GFX100:
- The world’s highest 102 million pixels resolution delivers the world-leading image quality
With the features of the GFX series image sensor which has the a diagonal length of about 55 mm (43.8 mm x 32.9 mm) and is approx. 1.7 times bigger than a 35 mm full-frame format, GFX100 has double number of pixels compared to the current model***. Combining with the unique color reproduction technology, it achieves the world-leading image quality.
- Offering the following three structures/ functions for the first time as a digital camera
that carries an image sensor larger than the 35mm full-frame format:
- Back-illuminated sensor with phase detection pixels: The use of phase detection pixels across the back-illuminated image sensor produces supreme image quality while making AF up to twice*4 as fast as that of the current models***. It also delivers outstanding Tracking AF performance on a moving subject and advanced accuracy in Continuous AF.
- In-body image stabilization (IBIS) mechanism: The use of up to 5.5-stop*4 five-axis in-body image stabilization controls pitch and yaw movements (up / down and right / left tilting) as well as shift (vertical / horizontal) and roll (rotational) movements. This dramatically broadens the scope of situations where users can handhold the camera and still enjoy the world of ultra-high 102 million pixels resolution.
- 4K/30P video recording function: The GFX100 supports 4K/30P video recording, capturing smooth motions at 30fps in ultra-high-definition 4K video. The camera allows users to enjoy beautiful bokeh with shallow depth-of-field and wide tonal reproducibility, enabling premium video production while reproducing detailed textures, three-dimensional definitions and even capturing the atmosphere of the scene.
Main features of the GFX100:
(1) Carrying a newly developed 102 million pixels image sensor to reach the world-leading image quality
- The GFX100 carries the large format sensor, a newly developed large image sensor with 102 million pixels resolution. It produces the world-leading photographic image quality when combined with the latest fourth-generation “X-Processor 4” high-speed image processing engine, ultra-sharp FUJINON GF lenses and color reproduction technology nurtured through the photographic film business over many years.
- The image sensor offers a back-illuminated structure with excellent light-receiving performance. Taking advantage of its wide dynamic range to achieve rich tonal reproduction and low noise, while also achieving high-speed readout of image data despite the massive pixel count.
(2) Fast and high-precision phase detection AF
- The GFX100 boasts highly accurate AF with exceptional ability to track a moving subject at a speed up to twice that of current models. This equates to the level of mobility that sets a new standard for digital cameras using an image sensor larger than the 35mm full-frame format.
- As many as 3.76 million phase detection pixels are placed across the image sensor (approx. 100% coverage), quickly focusing on the subject regardless of where the subject is within the frame. Furthermore, the GFX Series adopts the latest phase detection AF algorithm, already popular with FUJIFILM X-T3 and FUJIFILM X-T30 in the X Series of Fujifilm’s mirrorless digital cameras, to achieve high-speed and high-precision AF in the “Single Point” as well as “Zone” and “Wide Tracking” of focus area.
- The GFX100 boasts dramatic improvement in the accuracy of Face and Eye Detection AF, which has become an essential function in fashion photography and portrait photography. The Face Detection now works with a greater shooting distance, and shows amazing tracking performance even for the side profile of a person or a subject that is partially blocked by an obstacle.
(3) Powerful support for hand-held shooting with 5.5-stop five-axis in-body image stabilization
- The GFX100 comes equipped with a five-axis IBIS mechanism that delivers image stabilization of up to 5.5 stops. Taking advantage of its sensor-shift structure, the IBIS stabilizes images not only against pitch and yaw movements (up / down and right / left tilting) but also against shift (vertical / horizontal) and roll (rotational) movements. The entire shutter unit is suspended with four springs to minimize the effect of shutter shock. This dramatically broadens the scope of situations where users can handhold the camera and still enjoy the world of ultra-high 102 million pixels resolution.
(4) 4K/30P video recording capability to meet the needs of premium video production
- The combination of the new image sensor with high-speed readout and the high-performance “X-Processor 4” image-processing
engine has given the camera a capability of capturing smooth motions at 30fps in 4K video*5.
- When the DCI (aspect ratio of 17:9), a standard format for digital cinema cameras, is selected, the GFX100 records video with a sensor area measuring about 49.5mm diagonally*6. The size, bigger than that of large sensors increasingly adopted by high-end cinema cameras*7, results in outstanding high ISO performance, shallow depth-of-field capability and wide tonal reproducibility. This makes it easier than ever before to produce premium-quality video footage with more detailed textures and three-dimensional definitions while even capturing the atmosphere of the scene.
- The GFX100 uses oversampling with the amount of data equivalent to approx. 50.5 million pixels to render video with exceptionally high resolution. It also supports the highly efficient H.265/HEVC compression codec as well as the “F-Log” mode that reproduces rich tonal gradation and the “Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG)” for recording HDR (high dynamic range) footage with ease. For the first time in the GFX Series, GFX100’s Film Simulation options, which allow users to enjoy a variety of color and tonal reproductions, include “ETERNA” for simulating the colors and tones of Fujifilm’s cinema film. This enables faithful reflection of videographers’ artistic intentions to video production.
*5 Video is recorded on an SD card at 4K 30P 10bit 4:2:0 and on external media via HDMI at 4K 30P 10bit 4:2:2.
*6 Referring to the area of the image sensor used for video recording. In the case of the GFX100, when the 17:9 format is selected, the area measures approx. 49.5mm diagonally.
*7 Image sensors with the diagonal dimension of 43.2mm to 46.3mm
(5) Compact, lightweight and highly robust camera body for excellent practical usability
- Despite featuring the large format image sensor and IBIS, the GFX100’s camera body is compact and lightweight measuring just 48.9mm at the thinnest part and weighing approx. 1,400g*8. The compact form factor, equivalent to that of digital single-lens reflex cameras with a 35mm full-frame format sensor, ensures excellent mobility.
- The camera body is highly robust due to the use of magnesium alloy and the “inner frame” structure of coupling the image sensor, IBIS and lens mount into an integrated unit. Weather sealing is applied to 95 locations to make the body highly resistant to dust, moisture and low temperatures, catering to the tough shooting conditions of professional photography.
- For the first time in Fujifilm cameras, a vertical grip is built into the camera body, making it stable and comfortable to hold.
*8Including two batteries, memory card and electronic viewfinder (EVF)
(6) Ability to display diverse shooting data for added comfort in camera operation
- The GFX100 has a new 2.05-inch sub monitor on the rear panel in addition to the main 3.2-inch LCD monitor that can be tilted to three directions. Exposure settings and various other shooting data can be assigned to the rear-panel sub monitor so that the main monitor can be dedicated to checking framing, allowing you to concentrate on composition.
- The top panel now features another new 1.80-inch sub LCD monitor, which can be set to the “Virtual Dial Mode,” displaying a virtual dial for simulated operation. This is a perfect function for users who prefer dial-based operations, adopted in GFX Series’ current models.
- The number of dials, buttons and levers on the camera body has been kept to the minimum for simplicity in camera operation. The top panel features the Drive Mode Dial, which enables instantaneous switchover between the Still Image, Video and Multiple Exposure modes. Each of these modes can store settings such as exposure settings, white balance and Film Simulation selection. That means it only requires just single dial action to recall optimum camera settings, ensuring ease of camera operation.
(7) Featuring the world’s top-class ultra-high definition electronic viewfinder (EVF) with more than 5.76M million dots for accurate focusing
- The GFX100 features an ultra-high definition EVF, newly-developed for this model using the world’s top-class 5.76 million-dot OLED panel and five optical glass elements including aspherical elements. With the viewfinder magnification of 0.86x and 100% viewfinder coverage, the EVF enables accurate focusing for the 102 million pixels sensor, which requires extreme focusing accuracy.
- The GFX100 inherits FUJIFILM GFX50S’s popular detachable EVF system. When the optional EVF Tilting Adapter EVF-TL1 is attached, the EVF can be tilted to variable angles to provide flexibility accommodating user preference.
- The EVF can be set to the “Frame Rate Priority,” “Resolution Priority” or “AF Speed Priority” mode according to subject characteristics.
(8) Support for “16bit RAW” and “16bit TIFF” to cater to the needs of professional photography
- The GFX100 has responded to requests by many professional photographers by allowing photos to be saved in “16bit RAW” and “16bit TIFF”, significantly improving photo data’s tolerance to post-processing*9. This means the camera’s rich tonal gradation and Fujifilm’s unique color reproduction modes can be effectively utilized at the forefront of professional photography.
- The GFX100 also features the newly-developed “Smooth Skin Effect” function, which automatically smooths the skin tone. It reduces the amount of post-processing work in portraiture, so that images can be finished at an advanced level of perfection much quicker than ever before.
*9Tolerance to image degradation caused by post-processing
(9) Accommodating two batteries and supporting USB charging / powering for enhanced user convenience
- The GFX100 can accommodate two GFX Series batteries (NP-T125), extending the number of frames per charge to approx. 800 when the rear LCD is used.
- The camera can also be powered and charged through USB connection. Connecting an external battery that supports USB Power Delivery enables even longer continuous shooting and simultaneous charging of the two batteries in the camera.
- This is the first GFX Series model that has a supporting IEEE802.11ac 5GHz, enabling even faster wireless image transfer. For RAW processing and tethered shooting, similarly to previous GFX Series models, the GFX100 is compatible with “Tether Shooting Plug-in PRO for Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom®” and “Capture One Pro FUJIFILM” to accommodate the diverse workflow of professional photographers.
Main features of the Premista Series:
(1) Premista is a series of zoom cinema lenses that support large format sensors and delivers outstanding resolution, beautiful bokeh and rich gradation with high dynamic range.
- These zoom cinema lens, support large format sensors, and cater to a variety of filming situations with advanced
operability without having to change lenses.
Standard zoom lens that offers the fast T-stop value of 2.9 across its focal length range of
Telephoto zoom lens with the T-stop range of 2.9-3.5 and focal length range of 80-250mm
- The Series combines large-diameter aspherical lens elements, processed to ultimate precision, with the newly-developed focusing / zooming system to achieve low distortion*4 and color aberration. The lenses have the ability to achieve an astonishing level of edge-to-edge resolution, regardless of the distance from the subject or zoom position, delivering footage of impressive sharpness and clarity.
- This is the first FUJINON cinema lens series to adopt a 13-blade iris design to form a near-perfect circle. When combined with large format sensors’ characteristically shallow depth-of-field, the lenses create a natural and beautiful bokeh.
- Fujifilm’s unique optical design effectively mitigates ghosts and flares to produce video of rich gradation with high dynamic range.
- The Premista lenses produce video in natural color tones, popular with the HK / ZK / XK / MK Series of cinema lenses. Consistency in color design with the current lineup of lenses simplifies color grading*5, required when using multiple lenses.
*4Distortion refers to contraction and expansion that occurs at edges of an image formed through the lens.
*5Color grading refers to the process of color correction in movie editing.
(2) Advanced robustness in a compact and lightweight design
Mechanical design built with Fujifilm’s simulation technology, nurtured over many years, is coupled with production technology that can assemble parts processed in the order of microns at high precision, to produce a compact and lightweight body with advanced robustness, withstanding harsh filming conditions in professional video production.
(3) Excellent operability
The focus ring can be rotated as much as 280 degrees, and gives a sensation of smooth torque when rotated to enable precise focusing.
The gear pitch*6 for the operation rings for focusing, zooming and iris is 0.8M (module), the same as existing FUJINON cinema lenses. The lenses can also be used with standard peripheral accessories, essential for video production, such as Follow Focus for accurate and smooth focusing and remote lens control system for remotely operating rings.
Fluorescent paint is applied to index marks on the focus, zoom and iris rings so that these settings can be clearly checked even at night or in a dark room. The focus index can be also displayed in feet or meters.
The lenses feature a Flange Focal Distance adjustment function*7, allowing users to adjust the flange focal distance by simply rotating a ring on the lens barrel to correct a shift in the flange focal distance caused by rapid temperature changes at a shooting site. This function achieves optimum camera and lens matching, thereby bringing out the lenses’ full optical performance.
*6 Distance between gear teeth
*7 Lens’s image-forming plane can be adjusted to the optimum position according to each camera’s flange focal distance (distance from lens mounting reference plane to sensor)
(4) The Premista Series supports “ZEISS eXtended Data”*8
Premista lenses support the “ZEISS eXtended Data”, developed by Carl Zeiss in compliance with the “/i® Technology*9” communications standard. It can not only record lens metadata (focus, zoom and iris settings) for filmed footage but also correct lens distortion and peripheral illumination*10.
*8 The support is to be introduced with firmware update.
*9 /i is a trademark or registered trademark of Cooke Optics Limited.
*10 Compatible devices are required depending on which camera you use.